Story file

Something In The Night

by AnssiR66

2017

Alone in a big house at night, can you make it upstairs to your bedroom?

First Publication Date: October 30, 2017
TUID: al252vxxdtcq9afv

11th Place, La Petite Mort (English) - EctoComp 2017

A short spooky tale about going to sleep, November 6, 2017

In this game, you play someone who's been reading too many scary stories alone in a house, and you're too scared to go upstairs.

This is a great, relatable setup. Things are sparsely implemented, as is to be expected in a speed-IF, but I found no bugs and it had a fun verb choice.

The ending felt abrupt, which was disappointing, but I understand that not much is possible with speed-IF. This had the most relatable PC, for me, of any game I've played this year.

If you enjoyed Something In The Night...

People who like Something In The Night also gave high ratings to these games:

Dead Cities, by Jon Ingold
The letter you received from Arkwright's nephew Carter was clear enough: when the old man dies the inheritance tax will be too great. It's certain ruin, much like the estate itself. To raise some capital the nephew has set up buyers for...

The Forest of Fear, by Sam Ruby
Ages ago, in times few remember, the Dark Lord, Sauron, fashioned rings of power in the land of Mordor. One he made for himself, the mightiest ring of all, which ruled the others. Three were given to the elves, but being the wisest of...

Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian
A text-only space sim. Ply the spaceways. Make five million credits. Buy back your twin. (Superluminal Vagrant Twin is a shallow but broad exploration game.)

Something In The Night appears in the following Recommended Lists:

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 4 May 2021 at 10:39pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item