Working Stuck Inside

by Arthur Cavalcanti

Part of Running out of Ink: Limited Spaces

Working Stuck Inside is a short story about a writer stuck in her apartment during a blizzard. While she’s stuck, she has 3 days to write a short story, but she actually keeps procrastinating. I wanted to make something short, sweet and replayable that has a very likable main character and ends with a short compelling story that changes depending on what you decide the writer does during those crucial three days.

First Publication Date: March 12, 2022
IFID: F8582C4C-0BFE-4A17-8109-922294D399BA
TUID: 9st1lt79k44ri6xb

Extremely relatable writer simulator, March 14, 2022

This is a game from the recent 'Running out of Ink' itch anthology.

In this Twine story, you play as a tired author who just moved out of her parents' house and is trying to write a story over 3 days. Your choices during each of the three days affects the resulting story, which you can read at the end.

A lot of it is very relatable; trying to manage your creative output by procrastinating through playing games (something I've been doing myself except with writing reviews), writing for the 'wrong outlet' (where you are verbose) instead of the 'right one' (where you get stuck). I especially related to listening to podcasts while playing grindy games (I can highly recommend mixing the Magnus Archives podcast with Sunless Sea/Sunless Skies).

The character is depicted clearly and the variable story at the end is neat (the code for it is basically a time cave, with three possible first pages, 9 second, 27 third, etc. approximately).

My only caveats are that the game could be tidier. Paragraphs run together; I'd rather see each new paragraph indented or a full line left between them, like the finished story at the end. And there were a couple of noticeable typos (like 'to' for 'two') that could be caught by using Twine's text dump feature and running the result through Grammarly.

If you enjoyed Working Stuck Inside...

People who like Working Stuck Inside also gave high ratings to these games:

The Recruit, by Mike Sousa
Try your hand at the Real Life Interactive Gaming Simulacra! You'll face a variety of challenges and simulations and have a chance to win some money and great prizes. Apply today!

Horse Master, by Tom McHenry
The Game of Horse Mastery

Do It | Hazlo, by Santiago Eximeno
Do it. Now.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 14 March 2022 at 10:10pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item