The Minimalist

The Minimalist

by Mark Cook

Puzzle
2013

The final version of my entry in the 26th 48 hour ludum dare.

The theme is minimalism.

A mystery puzzle game set aboard a peculiar flying monolith.

I hope you enjoy my game.

First Publication Date: April 27, 2013
Development System: quest
IFID: 66327544-1D5A-4754-8966-5453C5FF624A
TUID: 6x528noxhabi3aeu

Good one, January 17, 2014
by Simon Deimel (Germany)

All in all a very good game with a tight story, probably influenced by the Matrix movies. Considering the short time in which it was assembled we can overlook missing implementations and little inaccuracies (there should not be the possibility to drop a tattoo, for instance). Regarding the fact that Quest was used for creating this game, I instantly tried the "use a on/with b" command when I did not find the required synthax, and mostly it turned out to be what the program was waiting for (as opposed to Inform, Quest contains "use" as a standard verb). For instance, in a certain situation I was unable to put one thing into a container, but instead could use it on the latter; or I could not enter a certain device, but use it instead.

The game contains two endings and I discovered the bad one first -- the game then mentions that there is a better ending and suggests further investigation, so replay is encouraged.

The puzzles are quite logic and once you get accustomed to the "use a on/with b" command, you can easily make progress. I recommend this game to everyone who likes a short science fiction story and does not back off from the mechanics (which sometimes may appear unusual to many gamers).

If you enjoyed The Minimalist...

People who like The Minimalist also gave high ratings to these games:

Please Answer Carefully, by litrouke
A five-minute horror game about surveys and stalking. Made in 24 hours.

Slouching Towards Bedlam, by Star Foster and Daniel Ravipinto
In the beginning was the Word, and it was hungry. ...

9:05, by Adam Cadre
The phone rings. Oh, no how long have you been asleep? Sure, it was a tough night, but... This is bad. This is very bad. The phone rings.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Zape on 5 May 2021 at 12:02am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item