To access Fallen London stories, you must have a Fallen London account, and you may then buy access to the story from the Fate page.

Unto Dust

by James Chew and Failbetter Games

Episode 64 of Fallen London Exceptional Stories

Caught in the machinations of a wily Tomb-Colonist, it's up to you to save a high society funeral from disaster! Can you navigate the demands of a corpse who won't stay dead, to say nothing of his confounded relatives... In Fallen London the dead don't stay buried and the living never rest easy.

First Publication Date: July 30, 2020
License: Commercial
Development System: StoryNexus
TUID: 4gaqftkugll9d3rq

Side-choosing and hijinks with the almost-dead., September 17, 2020

This was an interesting Exceptional Story for Fallen London, apparently expanding on a throwaway line in another part of the game (I think the conflict card between Tomb Colonists and others).

This game has a boisterous Tomb Colonist (kind of a living mummy, a creature preserved from death but full of wounds or rot that require bandages to hold them together and keep them presentable) who is trying (sort of?) to be decreed officially dead while leaving his estate to his nephew.

I may be mixing it up a bit with the perhaps more memorable Dilletante's Debut by Hannah Powell-Smith, which similarly featured a tug-of-war involving an estate and family.

And I suppose that's the problem. I don't have any negative memories about this story, but I don't have very memories of it in general besides wandering around the Grand Sanatorium fighting spiders. I do have much stronger memories of earlier stories from this year, such as the memorable Paisley, the very cute Go Tell The King of Cats (by the same author as this story!), and even Shades of Yesterday about a variety of pens.

So I'm giving this game stars for interactivity, polish, and descriptiveness, but not for emotional impact or replayability.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 14 August 2020 at 5:54pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item