PC Windows or Linux only - the EXE, RAR and ZIP are all the same for Windows
The New Castle - Linux
Contains newcast
v20 for Linux
Linux Installer (Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

The New Castle

by Dan Gahlinger

1990

The New Castle was first written by: Barry Wilks on a VAX/VMS Computer System at the University of Western Ontario, back sometime around 1983.
I was there as a student/staff there at the time! Anyone from Western/UWO at that time should remember me!
According to the information I have available, the original program was written in VMS Fortran but the project was never completed. I have taken great pains to see that this program was duplicated in every detail, including the kludges. I have completed the original adventure game, in the only manner that seemed possible and spent several months trying all possible combinations. This is one reason I believe the project was left incomplete, as there were a lot of unexplained parts, be that as it may, it is represented here for your enjoyment.
You can send mail via the InterNet at dan@zerofusion.com or check out our website at
http://www.zerofusion.com for new updated versions.

Development System: Custom
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFID: ZCODE-512-------
TUID: 4fi1v6xkypdequ7c

Mainframe Adaptation - Very Buggy, January 6, 2021
by Canalboy (London, UK.)

Dan Gahlinger is to be congratulated on his memory in recreating this long lost old VAX mainframe program. It has a lot of potential as a large, old style puzzle fest if the game is properly tested and more items available to EXAMINE.

It is unfortunately very buggy. Examining an item often gives the description of a different item you may not have found yet. EXAMINE PLANK gives you the description of a plastic card for instance, and the white candle carries the description of a bar of soap.

THROW BOTTLE caused the game to crash with a run time error. There are also numerous typos throughout the descriptions.

The best part of the game is the maze, which is described as unmappable but contains hundreds of witty sayings and gnomisms from down the ages; everything from old Jewish Jokes to Woody Allen observations.

The version is displayed as 3.5 developmental and hopefully can be redone by the author.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by captaincapacitor on 3 December 2021 at 6:24am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item