Binary

by Stephen Granade profile

A wrecked star. A ruined space station in orbit. A digitally-uploaded mind. A decision left in your hands.

First Publication Date: April 1, 2020
IFID: E060711C-0FD9-40D5-8845-4F966DC88C77
TUID: 3jbew4fxoz3ziwta

Short story about binary choices, September 15, 2021

This story felt to me a lot like a much abbreviated version of Analogue: A Hate Story. If you've played that game, then the comparison itself might be a spoiler. This game is short enough that the premise kind of *is* the plot twist. (Spoiler - click to show)One difference is that Hyun-ae of Analogue destroyed the ship out for revenge, while Almira the stationmaster here destroyed the station out of a utilitarian ethical calculation.

I really enjoyed this. The choices are mostly binary choices until near the end; at first I thought there would only be two verbs (approach or withdraw), but there are others, like conversation options. All paths lead to the stationmaster telling the protagonist about the events that occurred aboard the ship, and then the protagonist deciding whether or not to agree or sympathize with the stationmaster. I liked the writing and flow of the story, the way everything came together at the end, and the final choice.

Anyway, the game takes less than 10 minutes, so it's pretty easy to try out.

If you enjoyed Binary...

People who like Binary also gave high ratings to these games:

Hate Plus, by Christine Love
I can't believe it! My mission was supposed to be routine data recovery on an old derelict generation ship, but instead, I ended up rescuing an adorable AI girl who grew up in a tremendously patriarchal Neo-Confucian society? And now...

De Baron, by Victor Gijsbers
An evil nobleman, a kidnapped daughter and a father who wants to rescue her at any cost--that is not the way life works. Something much darker, something much more human, lies underneath.

"Incident! Aliens on the Teresten!" by Tarquin Segundo, by Richard Goodness writing as The Water Supply writing as Tarquin Segundo
The scientist Chirlu created The Knot to be a source of peace and prosperity for the galaxy. But a routine training mission turned into terror when the bloodthirsty Ilfane attacked. Get ready, young space cadet -- surviving the Ilfane...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Stephen Granade on 30 April 2020 at 9:52am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item