To access Fallen London stories, you must have a Fallen London account, and you may then buy access to the story from the Fate page.

The Ballad of Johnny Croak

by Harry Tuffs and Failbetter Games

Episode 61 of Fallen London Exceptional Stories

A string of horrible murders strikes London, made all the more horrid by their permanence. Who is Johnny Croak, the legendary urchin with the lethal crossbow? What’s his connection to Mr Fires' factories? And what's with all the frogs?

First Publication Date: April 30, 2020
License: Commercial
Development System: StoryNexus
TUID: 1ryolaqtqr423jsc

Frogs and killers, September 17, 2020
Fallen London is all about the impermanence of death in the Neath (the enormous cavern below the earth where cities get sucked into when they 'fall').

But this story follows a strange assassin who uses frogs and somehow manages to permanently get rid of people.

It ends up being quite charming. Here's my score:

+Polish: It worked smoothly and seemed well-thought out. Pretty much all Fallen London content is polished.
+Descriptiveness: I played it months ago, but I still remember the frogs and the (Spoiler - click to show)factory that threatens their wetlands
+Emotional impact: As I said it above, it's charming. Johnny Croak is a sweety.
+Interactivity: I definitely felt like I could make real choices.
-Would I play again? You can pay to replay (or play for the first time if you missed it) Fallen London's exceptional stories. This one was fun, but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it again, especially with some other very good stories out there.

If you enjoyed The Ballad of Johnny Croak...

People who like The Ballad of Johnny Croak also gave high ratings to these games:

Limerick Night, by Pace Smith
You're cursed! If you don't set it right, your bones turn to dust at first light. That's not too attractive, so let's get proactive! Can you survive... LIMERICK NIGHT???

Savoir-Faire, by Emily Short
The beautiful life is always damned, they say. As for you, you've overexpended yourself: fifteen years of prominence, champagne, carriage rides in the Tuileries, having your name whispered behind manicured hands, getting elegant...

The Rat-Catcher, by Chandler Groover, Failbetter Games
Team up with a Department of Menace Eradicator to find her missing partner! Collect bounties, interrogate rodents, and venture into the Prickfinger Wastes. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your pistol closest still.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 30 April 2020 at 11:56am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item