Have you played this game?You can rate this game, record that you've played it, or put it on your wish list after you log in.
Playlists and Wishlists
RSS FeedsNew member reviews
Updates to downloadable files
All updates to this page
About the StoryMad science raised you from the dead! Pursue justice or vengeance, love or secrets, as you save or destroy the world with forbidden eldritch power.
"The Mysteries of Baroque" is a 200,000-word interactive Gothic horror novel by William Brown, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
One dark and stormy night in a remote castle in the mountains, you awake anew, resurrected by the brilliant Dr. Holofernes. But even a mad scientist can't keep you alive forever. As the procedure reverses itself over time, you will begin to die again. You must fight to stay alive long enough hunt down your killers, avenge yourself, and protect the ones you love.
Operating out of the mysterious Grand Guignol Theater, your quest will take you through the darkest shadows of the city of Baroque, the City of Dreadful Night, from its vast subterranean slums to the opulent mansions of its jaded, debauched aristocracy. Will you lose yourself in the distractions of romance, assure your own survival through the Holofernes Procedure, or sacrifice everything to take your revenge?
• Play as male, female, or non-binary; gay, straight, or ace.
• Fight to reclaim your old life and identity – or make a new home for yourself in the Grand Guignol Theater
• Trade your soul to a dark god in return for vengeance – or reject its help and fight alone.
• Stalk your killers through the glittering demimonde, mansions, and the slums.
• Learn the sanity-blasting secrets of the occult and risk your mind by unleashing them on your enemies.
• Use the power of science to devise and build bizarre inventions: death rays, gliders, and hallucinogenic grenades.
• Augment your regenerating body with clockwork technology like wings, a camera eye, or steel claws.
• Uphold the forces of law and order, the revolutionary Worker’s Council, or the enigmatic Vendetta faction in the battle for Baroque’s soul.
• Embark on dream quests and night visions to learn new skills and uncover ancestral memories.
• Bring comfort and hope to the suffering citizens of Baroque, or drive them further into darkness in pursuit of vengeance.
You died betrayed. You died in pain. And your troubles are just beginning.
|Average Rating: |
Number of Reviews: 1
Write a review
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful:A pastiche of older dark fiction with a revenge plot, February 19, 2021
You play as a Frankestein's monster-like character, brought to life by the power of science and lightning. Like the Count of Monte Cristo, you realize that you had been betrayed by someone you once respected and swear vengeance.
The game has a lighter side. As an example of the game's tongue-in-cheek nomenclature, you live in a city called Baroque whose principal enemy is the city Rococo. Other cities and people are torn from famous (and less famous) works of fiction, including speculative fiction from the Bronte sisters.
There is a chapter similar to the Phantom of the Opera, a chapter like the Red Death, a detective chapter, etc.
I found this all to be great. Near the end, it turns to weird horror, as many dark books in an older setting do, but it does it well.
One drawback is that there are very few opportunities for stat increases (you will likely end the game with most skills never having changed). Another is that many threads are brought up and then lost again. For instance, I received a modification that allowed me to have perfect photographic recall. But it never seemed to come up again, even in situations where it might be useful (searching through a pile of artifacts, trying to learn a secret name from a page, etc.)
Overall, I found the story fun and interesting.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
More Options| Add a comment
If you enjoyed The Mysteries of Baroque...
Related GamesPeople who like The Mysteries of Baroque also gave high ratings to these games:
|Night Guard / Morning Star, by Astrid Dalmady|
Average member rating: (16 ratings)
My mother made a deal. So here I am, working the night shift, alone with her work.
|Bolivia By Night, by Aidan Doyle|
Average member rating: (16 ratings)
A mystery adventure game set in Bolivia.
|Life On Mars?, by Hugo Labrande|
Average member rating: (17 ratings)
The first mission to colonize Mars ended with a horrible shuttle crash, and it's a miracle you're still alive... Now you just have to wait until the second shuttle gets here. Five more months...
This is version 2 of this page, edited by R.E.Towers on 20 September 2018 at 6:45pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item