Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

The Hero Project: Open Season

by Zachary Sergi

Episode 2 of The Hero Project series
Superhero

Can you win The Hero Project, America's #1 reality competition for heroes? Team up with allies old and new to unravel a conspiracy threatening your world, and save the planet from destruction!

The Hero Project: Open Season is a 170,000-word interactive novel, and the final installment of Zachary Sergi's "Hero Project" series. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

In a competition full of heroic stars, will you rise high enough to influence the way society views Powered people? What will you do when your fight soars to heights you never expected…and when your journey falls back into the perspective of the original Heroes Rise Trilogy main character?

As you rise, the decisions you make will shape the world for your Powered peers—and shape your relationships and potential romances. Will you fight for Powered rights or personal gain?

•Play as male, female, trans, or non-binary; gay, straight, bisexual, non-categorizable, or ace
•Play a new hero, in a brand new season of The Hero Project
•Use your animalistic Powers to survive deadly missions
•Kick slugging butt with Prodigal as your sidekick
•Become an advocate role model, a powerful kingpin, or a dangerous freedom fighter
•See Black Magic, Jury and Jenny again
•Secure the fate of a new Powered capital, or will you exploit its resources
•Untangle the conspiracy behind the scenes of The Hero •Project fast enough to save the entire world
•Play as the original Heroes Rise Trilogy hero in two interactive interludes!
•Enter into one of a ten different romantic relationships!

In Open Season, everyone is a target. Who is yours?

First Publication Date: April 5, 2018
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: w58fx08lzz6uhymr

The conclusion of the Hero Project. More policy than power, March 22, 2021

This game is the end of the Hero Project duology, which comes after the Heroes Rise trilogy (and has connections to (Spoiler - click to show)the author's Versus series).

I've really enjoyed Zachary's other games, but felt that the last game, Redemption season, was a bit more constrained. This game takes that further.

In this game, you take on the final episodes of the Hero Project reality show while dealing with a new independent city-state in the wilderness made up of former enemies trying to make a home for minority superheros.

I had an experience early on which really soured me on the game. In the previous game, (Spoiler - click to show)I followed Loa's instructions to the hilt, believing that she could save us. But she had said before that if I didn't win the Hero Project, the earth would be doomed. And the game also likes you to be consistent and to help your sister. So I had to choose between helping my sister and losing the project (thus dooming mankind). It felt pretty harsh. I tried to get some insights from reading the choice of game forums to see if there was a way to still win, but I couldn't find anything helpful.

Beyond that, though, (an issue which probably would have been just fine in the long run), this game feels like 80% reaction, 20% action. Over and over again, you're told what your hero does, and what other heroes do, then you're asked:
Did that make you feel:
-excited?
-scared?
-determined?

Or, someone will give a speech, and then the game will say:
In your heart, you think:
-All superheros should work together
-My type of superhero is persecuted, so we should stick together
-I don't care, as long as my sister is safe.

And these two interactions are what most of the game is. What drew me to Sergi's earlier games was the exact opposite: more action, more dramatic-feeling choices.

The high points of the game for me were seeing my old main character as a respected and powerful superhero, and the last chapter. I enjoy the character of your sister, Jelly Kelly, quite a bit, and your main character's power set is pretty cool.

Overall, I wouldn't have finished playing this one if it weren't connected to the overall Sergiverse. But it's one I wouldn't skip if you have played the other games, as it ties up a lot of loose ends.

If you enjoyed The Hero Project: Open Season...