ToasterCompNosrc.zip *
Contains Z-Code/GotToast/gottoast.z5
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
ToasterCompWithSrc.zip *
Contains Z-Code/GotToast/gottoast.z5
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.

Got Toast?

by Jim Fisher

2000

You promised your girlfriend Beth a home cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, and syrup. But considering you've only got bread and a new toaster in your kitchen, this may be a difficult promise to keep.

IFID: ZCODE-0-000818-7455
TUID: vy3x71efi2owus0z

Cute puzzle game, September 12, 2010
by Bernie (Fredericksburg, VA)

This game was an entry into the Great IF Toaster Contest, in which contestants were to design a game around a toaster. In this game, you have promised to cook your girlfriend breakfast if she stayed over. Alas, your refrigerator is empty and you quickly set off on an unexpected journey to find all the ingredients.

The introduction of the game warns you that it is easy to put the game in an unwinnable state. In many cases you'll get a blatant warning that this has occurred. However, you can perform a few silly actions that will also eliminate some needed objects (Spoiler - click to show)such as eating the toast. The puzzles are very fair and unique, simple enough to keep you engaged but tough enough to give you a feeling of pride upon completion of the game. The puzzles are the basis of the game and I recommend the game assuming the player likes puzzles. Those who enjoy a less puzzle-oriented game full of plot and characterization will probably find this game less exciting.

If you enjoyed Got Toast?...

People who like Got Toast? also gave high ratings to these games:

9:05, by Adam Cadre
The phone rings. Oh, no how long have you been asleep? Sure, it was a tough night, but... This is bad. This is very bad. The phone rings.

Monday, 16:30, by Alexander "Mordred" Andonov
How long is half an hour when you are bored and miserable? How about when it's Monday, and it's 16:30? How about when you're in love?

At Wit's End, by Mike Sousa
"A case study of Murphy's Law in action. In-game hints available." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Got Toast? appears in the following Recommended Lists:

My new walkthroughs for March 2019 by David Welbourn
On Monday, March 26, 2019, I published new walkthroughs for the games listed below! Some of these were paid for by my wonderful patrons at Patreon. Please consider supporting me to make even more new walkthroughs for works of interactive...

The following polls include votes for Got Toast?:

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

Games with "logical" puzzles by Victor Gijsbers
Some puzzles--like chess problems or sudokus--can be difficult even though you know all the rules. I'm looking for IF games with this kind of puzzle: you can get to know the rules by simple exploration, and then you still have to solve...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 25 March 2019 at 6:56pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item