Choice of the Rock Star

by Jonathan Zimmerman

Rock your way to the top of the ’80s charts in this epic interactive tale of music and mayhem! Will you achieve immortality or flame out on national TV?

First Publication Date: January 1, 2014
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
Forgiveness Rating: Polite
TUID: vf8lp44orak43300

On the shorter end for Choicescript, , March 17, 2021

This one was hard to review: didn't like it at first, liked it a lot more near the end, but not sure about it overall. So I'm going over my 5 point scale in hope it helps me.

+Polished: I didn't find any bugs or typos, which is normal for Choice of Games.
+Descriptive: The game was certainly descriptive and vibrant.
+Interactivity: There were a lot of options to fiddle around with: your sound, your relationship with your frequently-annoying brother, whether to sign with a record label or not, going solo. The ending was somewhat abrupt but fit in with the rest of the story.

Some people have pointed out that a few key points are forced on you. In one very late game move (involving relationships) (Spoiler - click to show)you find yourself in a relationship with a famous artsy person. This wasn't a problem for me, as I was pretending to be Paul MCcartney the whole game, playing bass etc., so I was fine dating 'Yoko' and splitting up the band by going solo. I suspect that a lot of the choices I made worked out for me because it was the 'ordained path'. A lot of the reports I had heard from other people seem to confirm that (for instance, the game seems to favor your brother).

+Emotional impact: I had fun. I disliked it at first but grew to like it.

-Would I play again? I feel content with my choices, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of wiggle room, so I'm not sure I'll revisit this one.

If you enjoyed Choice of the Rock Star...

People who like Choice of the Rock Star also gave high ratings to these games:

Panoptique, by Hugo Labrande, Nighten Dushi
Encore un peu de temps en salle de surveillance, et ça sera l’heure de votre pause. Concentrez vous sur les douze écrans devant vous. Faites un rapport pour chaque comportements suspect ou visant à troubler l’ordre public. N’oubliez pas,...

Hana Feels, by Gavin Inglis
Something is bothering Hana. Can you work out what it is? Take the part of four important people in her life and guide their conversations. After each scene, peek at Hana's journal and find out how she felt about the things you said.

Get Lost!, by S. Woodson
You're a suburban teen, sick of the suburbs. You run away to the land of the fairies, prepared for thrills and danger. Absolutely nothing happens the way you expect. A short Twine game with nine endings, originally commissioned for Now...

Choice of the Rock Star appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Simulation games by SpesKnight
Games that simulate something, not just IF stories but kind of management games made with IF engines

This is version 1 of this page, edited by SpesKnight on 6 September 2017 at 4:21am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item