Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

VERSUS: The Lost Ones

by Zachary Sergi

Episode 1 of Versus

Steal alien powers and absorb their memories! Can you outlast your opponents to escape from planet Versus?

"Versus: The Lost Ones" is a thrilling 123,000-word interactive novel by Zachary Sergi, author of our best-selling "Heroes Rise" trilogy. Your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Become an interstellar warrior, gifted with the power to ransack the thoughts and abilities of others. Transported to an unfamiliar world beyond your wildest dreams, you must invade the minds of your fellow captives to survive.

Seduce Lady Venuma, a self-proclaimed goddess, or clash with Empress Vaccus, a tusked monster and the sworn enemy of your home world. Triumph in gladiatorial combat, or in the deadly politics of planet Versus. Absorb the right talents, and you just might save the galaxy!

* Fight for humans or androids in a morally ambiguous civil war
* Play as male, female, transgender, intersex, or a non-categorizable gender identity
* Subvert the corrupt Elite Courte, or join them to suppress rebellion
* Romance aliens, crossbreeds, and intergalactic royalty, or go it alone--the choice is yours
* Dive into a sci-fi hybrid of space operas, futuristic dystopias, fantasy epics, and political chess

First Publication Date: August 21, 2015
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: tj5ggm4rmpp18zaq

Alien gladiator game with lots of worldbuilding, March 13, 2021

I've been going through the last of the Choicescript games by order of size from largest to smallest, and I'm near the end. Most of the smaller games don't have as much punch as the bigger ones.

But this game was actually pretty great. (spoilers for first chapter or two): (Spoiler - click to show)You're an alien from a planet where people can absorb others' abilities and memories. In the middle of a deadly war, you're taken to a gladiatorial planet.

The variety of characters is a big plus in this game. There are robots, gods, blob-things, etc. with one character being a superhero from Millenith, a planet where everyone is a superhero (a reference to Millenium City, the setting of the author's Heroes Rise trilogy).

The game is generally fast-paced. There was a giant chunk of world-building near the middle that was a bit hard to digest (and involved a lot of 'Next Page'), but besides that I found it very engaging.

Sergi's games often do the things that I find annoying in other games, but makes them work. His games tend to have pass/fail stat checks and some routes definitely 'win' more than others. However, he liberally sprinkles help and suggestions throughout, and offers an in-app purchase for hints. I'm not a fan of IAP's in general, but by having this one as an option and not getting it, it made me feel more motivated to try to 'win' fairly.

I look forward to playing the next one. I had heard for years that the third versus game has been more or less delayed, but I believe it's moving again. Either way, I don't think stories have to be complete to be enjoyable.

I received a review copy of this game.

If you enjoyed VERSUS: The Lost Ones...