a kiss

by Dan Waber

2013

Prose, poetry, recipes, and memoir all spring forth from and return to the single and singular moment of a kiss. A torus-shaped tale told in a thousand and one passages. A novel-length hypertext first published in Drunken Boat 17.

First Publication Date: July 15, 2013
TUID: rt4e8vy4fa17uo5u

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
It’s so hard to express all the little things that make up our lives. How often do we lack the language for it, having being taught to speak in common with others, but not to name our own insides? That Dan Waber was able to describe all these splintered memories in such abundance is a feat, and most of all, a hell of a love letter.

Expansive and exquisite experience of "a kiss", April 4, 2014

How can we possibly capture a moment in all its nuances?

"a kiss" gives it the best shot I've come across—we zoom in and out of the kiss, flash back and forward to just before and just after the kiss, and dip into hundreds of details that bring what this brief moment to vibrant life. As an example, delving into left or right of the kiss lets you explore the setting—and the many stories that make up the objects nearby, like the sunscreen, the sugar bowl lid, the fourth cat.

You don't quite read or play "a kiss", you experience it, and it's an incredibly intimate and immersive experience, rendered in poetic, masterful language. It's an expansive web of moments and exquisite detail, rendering what feels like a lifetime in this kiss.

I loved it.

If you enjoyed a kiss...

People who like a kiss also gave high ratings to these games:

Grandma Bethlinda's Variety Box, by Arthur DiBianca
It's the latest model, and it would really like to play with you.

Guess the Verb!, by Leonard Richardson
"Now you too can GUESS THE VERB for fun and prizes! Read evocative and amusing room descriptions while manipulating interesting objects! Interact with the simulated motives and desires of quirky NPCs! No thesaurus required!" [--blurb...

Turandot, by Victor Gijsbers
An operatic performance. A tale of atonement. A dating sim with a crocodile pit. Content warnings: sex; sexism and other gender issues; suicide; torture; homophobia; xenophobia.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by danwaber on 26 November 2013 at 9:11am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item