ats.z8
Requires a Z-Code interpreter. Visit IFWiki for download links.
atssrc.tar.gz
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

A Tight Spot

by Quim K. Holland

Non-IF game
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-000001-D30D
TUID: rsjzz9w60k6o6od4

Baf's Guide

An Inform implementation of Sokoban, the classic block-pushing puzzle game. True, Zokoban did it first, but not like this. Zokoban was basically just a proof-of-concept, and this is a full-featured implementation with a good user interface, multiple levels of undo, and literally thousands of levels - an impressive feat of data compression. It's probably the best implementation of Sokoban I've seen for any platform.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Impressive use of brackets, June 15, 2011

Labeled as "Non-IF", one might wonder... how do you make something in the z-machine that isn't... Interactive Fiction? When a text engine--designed for text games--is bent and twisted into something else, one can be split between thinking "Why? Why would you do this?" and being incredibly impressed that it was done.

Other titles have turned what are normally graphically based games and used text to "draw" out a game.

"A Tight Spot" is basically (Spoiler - click to show)Sokoban implemented using text as graphics

Many other titles have done this, and this one does it well. I should add I played this on Parchment (an online javascript player for z-machine games)and it worked just as well. It's impressive that it works at all, but how about the game?

I found myself as addicted to this as when I've played it on any other platform. I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars compared to other "text" adventures though. Not using traditional text makes it both amazing but also makes it "not-IF". Try it out and have some fun.

If you enjoyed A Tight Spot...

People who like A Tight Spot also gave high ratings to these games:

Contrition, by Porpentine
Someone is whispering behind your back: "She used to be the greatest thief in Contrition, until..."

SABBAT, by Eva
A game about transition from powerless to powerful. Has freeware and commercial versions. The commercial version contains unique pixel art and a soundtrack.

The Binary, by Bloomengine
The Timeline must be sanctified. Relive the same few minutes over and over again, attempting to stop a bullet from changing history.

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item