ats.z8
atssrc.tar.gz
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.gz "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)

A Tight Spot

by Quim K. Holland

Non-IF game
2001

IFID: ZCODE-1-000001-D30D
TUID: rsjzz9w60k6o6od4

Baf's Guide

An Inform implementation of Sokoban, the classic block-pushing puzzle game. True, Zokoban did it first, but not like this. Zokoban was basically just a proof-of-concept, and this is a full-featured implementation with a good user interface, multiple levels of undo, and literally thousands of levels - an impressive feat of data compression. It's probably the best implementation of Sokoban I've seen for any platform.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Impressive use of brackets, June 15, 2011

Labeled as "Non-IF", one might wonder... how do you make something in the z-machine that isn't... Interactive Fiction? When a text engine--designed for text games--is bent and twisted into something else, one can be split between thinking "Why? Why would you do this?" and being incredibly impressed that it was done.

Other titles have turned what are normally graphically based games and used text to "draw" out a game.

"A Tight Spot" is basically (Spoiler - click to show)Sokoban implemented using text as graphics

Many other titles have done this, and this one does it well. I should add I played this on Parchment (an online javascript player for z-machine games)and it worked just as well. It's impressive that it works at all, but how about the game?

I found myself as addicted to this as when I've played it on any other platform. I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars compared to other "text" adventures though. Not using traditional text makes it both amazing but also makes it "not-IF". Try it out and have some fun.

If you enjoyed A Tight Spot...

People who like A Tight Spot also gave high ratings to these games:

Fish Bowl, by Ethan Rupp and Joshua Rupp
You are a beachcomber living by the shore. Today, you wake to find an empty fish bowl in your home, and don't remember how it got there. You try to piece your memory back together, but soon learn what the old maps meant: Here there be...

A Fly On the Wall, by Nigel Jayne
. . . this game was updated, expanded and released in 2017 as A Fly on the Wall, or An Appositonal Eye. . . The Harrison Mansion is closing after 45 years of delighting its visitors with collections of the weird and recreations of the...

Surface, by Geoff Moore
A Spring Thing 2014 entry. Surface should play in all modern browsers, however Chrome and Safari are recommended as text and image fades may not display properly in other browsers.

This is version 1 of this page, last edited on 29 September 2007 at 8:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item