Download it on Steam

by Zachary Sergi

Episode 2 of the Heroes Rise series
Superhero
2013

As a contestant on “The Hero Project,” you’ll battle villains and heroes alike with your newly discovered “Infini” powers. Will you vote to eliminate your rivals, or betray your alliance to curry favor with the celebrity judges?

“Heroes Rise: The Hero Project” is the sequel to last year’s hit “Heroes Rise: The Prodigy,” the epic interactive novel where your choices control the story.

Play as male or female, gay or straight; you can even start a “showmance” with the other contestants. What will you sacrifice to become the nation’s next top hero?

How high will you rise?

First Publication Date: September 20, 2013
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: ly6onyjp58dxfl60

A great reality-show sequel to the first Heroes Rise, September 17, 2020
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

(Edit: I originally put this review on the wrong page)

I honestly enjoyed this game quite a bit. It kept all the things I liked from the first game and fixed some of the drawbacks.

This is a reality show-format game, like Slammed!, so a lot of the game is choosing what kind of image you want to project and going along with it. There are several romance choices, and I felt like I had more agency.

Now, it's interesting what different groups find appealing and don't. I saw some people on the Choicescript forums get mad at this game because it's possible to make wrong decisions and 'lose'. In fact, you can actually buy (with in-game cash or real money) hints on how to win.

At the same time, I saw a well-thought-out and clear review on this site talking about One Eye Open, and saying that, while it was well-written, it was not that interesting because it didn't have difficult puzzles.

So on the one hand, there is a group of people who want games to mold to their desires and be winnable no matter what. And there are others who want games to frustrate and challenge them. I started in the second camp but now enjoy both types, and I think most people have some overlap between the two.

In any case, this game has some difficult challenges. The characters and plot are written with broad strokes, and that's because, like many early Choicescript games, it was written by boiling down an entire genre.

At 180,000 words, it's not the biggest game, but playthrough length felt substantial. I played steadily and it still took a few hours. I think this one's worth playing, even if you haven't tried the first one.

I received a review copy of this game.

If you enjoyed Heroes Rise: The Hero Project...

People who like Heroes Rise: The Hero Project also gave high ratings to these games:

The Weapon, by Sean Barrett

The Arboretum, by Matthew S. Burns
The Arboretum is a mostly linear interactive story about dating, growing up, and our relationships to our past and future selves. It also demonstrates that a choice doesn't need to show you the consequences to be meaningful.

Jacqueline, Jungle Queen!, by Steph Cherrywell
You are Jacqueline McBean, modern woman for the Thirties and intrepid international correspondent for the Fresno Bee. The good news is that you're on your way to a plum assignment among the glitzy spires and glamorous nightclubs of...

Heroes Rise: The Hero Project appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best superhero games by MathBrush
These are games featuring superheros, with my thoughts on them. I haven't tried the Frenetic Five games yet.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by MathBrush on 26 August 2020 at 10:32am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item