Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

Fox Spirit: A Two-Tailed Adventure

by Amy Clare Fontaine

Dazzle humanity or destroy it as a magical, two-tailed fox!

Fox Spirit: A Two-Tailed Adventure is a 250,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Amy Clare Fontaine, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Seek the mystical Star Ball that will grant you immortality. It is hidden somewhere in Hoshimori, the human village where your family was killed.

Weave illusions, shapeshift, or control minds! Will you become a benevolent guardian, a playful trickster, or a fierce demon? Avenge your family or strive to change their killer's heart? Beguile a human love interest or woo a vulpine mate?

One way or another, you'll set the world on fire!

-Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bi, asexual, or poly.
-Master shapeshifting, illusions, mind control, or foxfire.
-Make mischief, decimate foes, serve the gods, or aid the needy with your magic.
-Get foxy with humans, foxes, or all of the above.
-Explore the world with the heightened senses of a fox.
-Dazzle people with fireworks, or blast them with your flames.
-Support the human empire, or stage a vulpine revolution.
-Achieve immortality, or destroy the Star Ball that sustains it.
-Convince a fox-hating farmer to change his mind—or obliterate him.

First Publication Date: October 15, 2020
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: ly1muqtq4p4uvot6

An engaging story of life as a fox spirit, December 10, 2020

This was a really hard game to rate, as I went back and forth between 4 and 5 stars. It's definitely one of the best Choicescript games I've given 4 stars, and I think the rating comes down to my experiences with it.

In this game, you play a fox in a Japanese-themed culture whose family is slaughtered by a vicious farmer. When you reach 100 years old, you gain the power to be a fox spirit.

Choices in the game generally revolve around your personality (helpful vs demonic is a big one) and whether you encourage war or not. There are several competing goals (immortality, peace, and romance) and I'm not sure you can complete all 3 at once (I ended up with 2).

The writing is engaging, but a lot of it depends on how interested you are in being a fox. Having seen fox spirits as enemies in other games, I found it fun to be one in this game.

I had trouble engaging with the stats, though. I had very high cleverness but kept failing stat checks about knowing things or being smart. Then near the end I realized that most of those checks were for 'worldliness', which was low for me as I was a godly disciple of Inari. Even after I figured that out, though, there were many many times where I had no clue what was being checked or failed things I thought I'd be great at. Part of that is probably because I was trying at first to be a devout trickster, but most trickster options lower devoutness. So I think my own choices led to that lack of engagement.

The game had a great sense of being an animal in the human's world, which is its best aspect.

I wouldn't have minded having stats look higher, too. Since every choicescript game is different, it's hard to tell if you are good at something if you have, for instance, a 65 in that category. But that's just personal taste.

Overall, well-written and a truly fun set of final chapters. It felt large, and reminded me of the setting of Choice of Kung Fu (which I think also featured Fox Spirits; they'd make a fun session played one after the other).

If you enjoyed Fox Spirit: A Two-Tailed Adventure...