Download the Album
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Z-Machine Interpreter with Blorb support - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here?

by Ruth Alfasso profile

Episode 29 of Apollo 18 Tribute Album
Humor
2012

Each step of this one-move game takes you into an entirely different, very short, story. Often, there's a blue thing. What's it doing here?

First Publication Date: March 26, 2012
IFID: C2272262-4C68-41B1-89F8-701628DCFCA5
TUID: h2j4m8rzqzrksen

A one move game with divergent endings all about blue things, February 14, 2016

Like Fingertips:All Alone and Fingertips: Who wrecked my car, this one move game has completely different narratives depending on what action you take.

All of these actions have a blue thing in them. While this game implemented more than All Alone, I felt like it was too self-conscious, hammering home the multiple endings and talking about the Fingertip:I don't understand game. On its own, however, it is a solid game, with some particularly good endings.

Being blue, apparently, April 3, 2016

An exercise in 'how well do you know your IF parser?' I've compiled a list of actions with unique responses in the spoiler space; it's probably incomplete, but is longer than the Club Floyd list and includes some amusingly silly responses. A few typos, but it's fast and fun.

(There is no apparent reference to Suzanne Vega's 'Small Blue Thing', which I will admit was my go-to visualisation for the Blue Thing - the THMBGs song being slightly vague as to description.)

(Spoiler - click to show)
About
xyzzy
Wait
Pray
Curse
Smell
Listen
Think
Hint
Urinate
Eat door
Credits

Recommended for: when you're in a methodical mood.

A Multiverse of Possibility, April 2, 2012
by Joey Jones (UK)

The parser is a promise that is often broken. It offers you a chance to try anything. It bristles with possibility. Every game has a relationship with this promise, and most go something like this: You can try anything! Oh great, I'll try '[this]!', That's not a verb I recognise. The path of the text adventurer is one fraught with great disappointment, but also great excitement and glee when one's wishes are understood. And the more our wishes are understood, the more we trust the game and invest in its story.

What's The Blue doesn't have a consistent story, but rather dozens and dozens of different stories. With its breadth it comes a long way to fulfilling the promise of the parser. It isn't as complete as the multi-authored pick up the phone booth and aisle, but given that there is only one of Ruth it is impressive.

If you enjoyed Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here?...

People who like Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here? also gave high ratings to these games:

SwordQuest, by Roger Pender
While passing through Camelot, you learn that disaster has befallen the kingdom. Morgan le Fay, the sorceress and King Arthur's half-sister, has stolen his magical sword, Excalibur! This adventure is part of the Eamon universe. Like all...

Lost in time, by Gerardo Adesso
Knock Knock. Knock Knock. A journey through memory lane.

Word of the Day, by Richard Otter
You are the very first Outer Worlder to gain an appointment on a Bio-Drive vessel, let alone as part of the engineering team. Looking to gain enough credits to procreate could this be your first and last journey?

Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here? appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Apollo 18+20 by Teaspoon
Interactive fiction games, with one game per track on the album Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants. The regular tracks are generally short games. The Fingertips tracks are one-move games (however the authors interpreted that). The games...

The following polls include votes for Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing Doing Here?:

Getting back into IF, best re-introductions to the genre by Sorrel
I haven't played any IF for roughly the past 6 years and am excited to get back into it. So, what have I missed? What have been some of your favorite games released since 2010? Alternatively, what games do you think would serve as a good...

This is version 10 of this page, edited by Zape on 17 June 2019 at 4:54pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item