Play Online
Competition version.
Download files
Index of files to download, including images.

The Shoe Dept.

by Aquanet

What has two tongues but can't talk and follows us everywhere we go? Our lovely, leathery shoes, of course, the absolute last thing any person would ever expect to harbor a terrible secret. Fifteen-year-old Michael Cherry, for example, has no idea.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: dxezgdjudcbq12h

18th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
The premise of the New Shoe being the lynchpin behind the Evil Plot defuses a bit of the tension, in favour of humour and whimsy. I don't know that it offers anything new or surprising, but it's a fairly entertaining story nonetheless. Actually, come to think of it, perhaps the tension feels surprisingly low, given the nature of the story. I'm not sure why this is.

A legnthy twine game with inventory and puzzles about evil and shoes, May 10, 2017

This is a pretty long twine game with some dark humor, all about a conspiracy and a new shoe.

This game is well-coded, and includes difficult twine constructs and handles it well. The text seems mostly error-free.

The game handles puzzles much better than most Twine games. The annoyance of lawnmowering links was offset by the creativity of the puzzle design.

The writing wasn't especially polished, and the story was hard to follow in places. It has a single and unnecessary strong profanity near the start.

If you enjoyed The Shoe Dept....

People who like The Shoe Dept. also gave high ratings to these games:

Pogoman GO!, by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman
The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

Sub Rosa, by Joey Jones, Melvin Rangasamy
A puzzle game about secrets in the Age of Lead. You've spent seventeen years preparing for an infiltration. Stealing the Confessor's secrets is only the beginning: it will all be for nothing if you leave a trace.

Roads Not Taken, by Doug Egan
A lesson on finding one's path through the trees.

The Shoe Dept. appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Doug's Top Ten of IF Comp 2016 by Doug Orleans
I played all but one of the 58 entries in IF Comp 2016 (I couldn't play Labyrinth of Loci because I don't have access to Windows or Mac OS). These were the top ten games on my ballot. Note that I rate games on slightly different criteria...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 3:09pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item