upon the author's website.
at itch.​io.
story file

Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone

by Ryan Veeder profile

Episode 2 of Tales from Castle Balderstone

Another anthology of terror, edited by Ryan Veeder, again. Also an ECTOCOMP 2019 entry.

First Publication Date: October 31, 2019
Forgiveness Rating: Bloodcurdling
IFID: ED3C95A3-A4B9-4648-A0B3-1FEFEC362209
TUID: cvy76hm1db0zpnem

Nominee, Best Setting - 2019 XYZZY Awards

3rd Place, Le Grand Guignol - ECTOCOMP 2019

Short horror parser games connected with a backstory, November 19, 2019

Like the original Balderstone (which you don't have to play to understand this), you are at a gathering of horror writers who tell 'stories' which are minigames. The order of the stories is randomised.

The games are coded well, and the tone varies a lot, sometimes dramatic, sometimes silly, sometimes frightening, all sort of tongue in cheek. Many of them have twists, whether geographical or as a meta-narrative etc.

I came, I saw, I had fun, the stories aren't really related, so why don't you just go try it out and see for yourself?

Tales From the Crypt, November 1, 2019

An anthology of spooktacular short games, with charming interstitial material. Some classic Veeder themes are revisited - the (Spoiler - click to show)twist in (Spoiler - click to show)the last game is a gimmick first explored in (Spoiler - click to show)Craverly Heights, frex - but that is not a downside. This collection felt much meatier than the first Tales from Castle Balderstone, although that may be simply because I had adjusted my expectations.

Light in difficulty, if not always in content (although never shocking or mean), I found this a delightful hallowe'en feast.

If you enjoyed Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone...

People who like Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone also gave high ratings to these games:

Triune, by Papillon
"What are little girls Made of? Sugar and spice And everything nice That's what little girls Are made of." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Love, Hate and the Mysterious Ocean Tower, by C.E.J. Pacian

Light Years Apart, by Anaea Lay
Can you and your sister outfox a galaxy-spanning AI to save your home planet? A rollicking adventure with space pirates, spies, and snarky computers. Light Years Apart is a 230,000-word interactive sci-fi novel by Anaea Lay, where your...

Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone appears in the following Recommended Lists:

More Recommended Horror Games by thecanvasrose
A list of well-rated, reputable and interesting horror games not included in my favorite horror games list. For those looking to explore the genre in IF.

The following polls include votes for Additional Tales from Castle Balderstone:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Setting of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Best Story of 2019 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2019 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination.This is not an official list. The point of poll is partly to suggest...

I'm looking for Easter Eggs.. by morganthegirl
I'm somewhat new to IF and was wondering if Easter Eggs are ever hidden in these games as they are in others? If so, which games have them? If there a lot of them, then which ones are the "best"?

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 26 November 2020 at 3:18pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item