Play on the Web
at Choice of Games
Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store - Omnibus app
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

Tower Behind the Moon

by Kyle Marquis

epic fantasy

You are the greatest magician in the Sublunar World. It is not enough. As a rare Conjunction approaches, immortality is within reach. But the gods have noticed you trying to unlock the doors of heaven. Some demand you ascend–or else–while others plot your destruction. There are only two paths for you now, archmage: immortality or annihilation.

Tower Behind the Moon is a 400,000-word interactive epic fantasy novel by Kyle Marquis, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transcend your mortal state one month from now, in the tower where your magic is strongest. Miss this celestial conjunction and you will die. As you prepare for your ascension, however, you battle increasing dangers.

Your tower is your sanctum, but also a target for enemies you've made over a lifetime of treasure hunting, sorcery, and war. Angels and demons haunt your workshop while mortal princes demand favors and concessions. Your servants–themselves half-gods or more–fight for your attention and scheme to claim the tower for themselves. And the wretched shade of your mentor, who failed to ascend, hints that something out of your past plans to destroy your future.

You hold the keys to heaven, hell, and the outer darkness. You just need to find the door.

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary, gay, straight, bi, or ace.
• Choose from five different magical paths, each with unique servants and spells.
• Travel from the forgotten castles of the underworld to heaven’s crooked back-alleys.
• Face mad dragons, ruthless angels, cultists, and whole kingdoms of the dead.
• Be dreadful and monstrous, or subtle and ruthless.
• Uncover the true history of your tower, your mentor, and your long-lost adventuring companions.
• Maintain your humanity or abandon the fetters of reason.
• Comfort the afflicted or vaporize the annoying.
• Dare to seek love at the end of your mortal existence.
• Become a demon, a god, an undead lich, a shining immortal, or a living continent–if you succeed.

Your weapon: magic. Your enemy: the gods. Your goal: immortality.

First Publication Date: December 20, 2018
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: c1igqfnmdk7prc67

Extreme TTRPG-style power fantasy--ascend to the gods, December 28, 2020
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
When I was a kid, I read tons of Dragonlance books. My brother and I owned over 100, read them, laminated them.

I always liked them better than Forgotten Realms because the Dragonlance characters were more human. At the beginning of the Dragons of Autumn Twilight, everyone is pretty low level. Raistlin doesn't even know fireball.

But the Forgotten Realms books were always super over-powered. A character murders gods and becomes a god. Elminster goes to a fireball competition and explodes a fireball the size of the sun. Stuff like that.

This game is more like Forgotten realms. You play as an incredibly powerful archmage (much more powerful than a level 20 D&D character) who is ready to ascend to Godhood, but someone is sabotaging your plans. You have to find a way to keep yourself alive and in power long enough to ascend (or to take over the world, or many other goals).

There is intense worldbuilding, with dozens of characters, creatures, spells, artifacts, etc. in a traditional RPG style setting (dragons, plane shifting, wizards, bards, knights, etc.)

I'm usually all over this kind of thing, but as I said earlier, there a couple of flaws for me.

-The narrative arc is flat. There's no real growth; you start out as super-powerful, then become more super-powerful, then even more super-powerful. By the later chapters, it makes more sense, and feels better, but the first few chapters made me feel like I had nowhere to go and no real stakes since I started out having already 'won'.

-The character is pretty much evil or close to it, but I didn't really get a motivation for it. I can compare this game to Endmaster's Eternal in some ways, a game I recently played that also has a notably villainous PC (although Eternal is much darker overall), and even though Eternal had an even more evil protagonist, it's motivated more because you're a servant sworn to work for a master. In this game, you answer to no one and nothing. Many of your choices are just evil for evil's sake. I guess it's the difference between being an anti-hero (like in Eternal or Champion of the Gods or Metahuman, Inc. or even Megamind) vs being a straight-up villain.

But these are minor quibbles. The writing is clearly good. The game is very large, one of the longest (in playtime) that I've played for Choice of Games, and most of the problems I mention go away after the first few chapters.

So if you play the demo and enjoy it, it only gets better from there and is worth the price.

As a final note, the game does a brilliant job with changing the stats screen to reflect your situation, and I wish there was some 'best stats screen' or 'coolest Choicescript trick' award I could give the game for that.

If you enjoyed Tower Behind the Moon...