Story page

The Wal*Mart Game

by thatguy

Espionage
2003

Hey look everybody, it's The Wal*Mart Game! But this isn't your ordinary Wal*Mart game, oh no, terrorists have taken over, and it's up to you to ... well pretty much do whatever you'd like.

Please note that this is an Advanced Game, and takes full use of Objects. To use an object, simply pick it up (click on it), and then go to "My Inventory" and click USE. You'll pretty much need to do this thoughout The Wal*Mart game!

Also, there are three endings. See how many you can get!

First Publication Date: February 9, 2003
Development System: ChooseYourStory
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
TUID: 91m14c7olvmmk5su

An extremely hard ChooseYourStory puzzle game with inventory system, December 24, 2020
Related reviews: 2-10 hours

I've been exploring the ChooseYourStory catalogue a bit and taking the advice of previous commenters to check the content warnings so I don't complain about things I should have known about ahead of time.

This game was really interesting and really hard. I don't usually review games without finishing them, but I think it might be a long time before I beat this one (unless I just use the walkthrough).

You play as someone who wanders into a Walmart right when it's taken over by terrorists. You have to explore the various departments and collect items to help you and others escape.

I've probably only reached 1/3-1/2 of the game after a few hours and checking the beginning of the walkthrough. There are tons of items that you can pick up and manipulate, and the game is defiitely 'cruel' on the Zarfian scale, meaning you can irrevocably mess yourself up without knowing.

It reminds me of some of the Infocom games like Deadline or the one where you're a scuba diver, where you have to hit things in just the right sequence or you'll miss out on something important.

There's some grammatical and writing inconsistencies, which is why I'm doing 4 stars instead of 5, but I would definitely recommend this to fans of games that require careful note taking, experimentation, logic, and a lot of replay.

Hard, but Deep, January 10, 2021
by Ogre (A Cave)

Yes, indeed, this is a difficult adventure. It will likely take you many tries to get through this one. It also quite well written. There are good details throughout the story, and I felt like I was in the story when I was reading it. There is a lot going on with this story and it can be entertaining, but yes, the subject is terrorists in the Wal-Mart, so if that's a problem for you, you probably shouldn't be reading this one.

If you enjoyed The Wal*Mart Game...