Play on ChooseYourStory.com

The Tower of Rowena

by DavidG

2017

A humorous adventure. You play as yourself, an adventurer... well, let's be honest, you're a thief. You've heard a witch named Rowena has gathered treasures which are scattered throughout the tower she calls home.

You are free to backtrack as much as you like within the tower and the immediate area. Indeed, backtracking will be necessary to find all the treasures. You are free to return to the beginning and leave whenever you wish. The more treasures you find, the more you'll impress us, so of course you'll want to find all 17.

Certain risky decisions will result in your demise. You'll always be given a warning that you are doing something risky, so that you may change your mind. However, certain risky decisions have beneficial results. It's up to you whether to proceed or not.

Good luck with the treasure hunting!

License: Free
Development System: ChooseYourStory
TUID: 91bdlsfner4vulkm

Tower of Rowena, March 14, 2022
by Gryphon
Related reviews: DavidG

General Recommendation: I definitely recommend this game, especially if youíre fond of discovery-based puzzle games.
Preview: You go around the tower in an open map, coming up with solutions to various problems that will let you get the treasures. Much of the game is exploring the tower, and fiddling with different objects and activities as you search for the treasures.

=SPOILERS BELOW=

RATINGS:

Basic Plot & Coherence:
As an open map exploration game, this game doesnít really need a nuanced plot. The plot that does exist works perfectly, and provides an intriguing and engaging frame for the exploration of the tower. Rowenaís tower was filled with a number of fascinating details that fleshed out the feel of exploration and discovery. Even after finding all 17 treasures, I was left with the lingering feeling that there was more to explore, which is exactly the mood a really good puzzle game evokes. Kudos to the author!

Characters & Development:
Again, as a puzzle game, the characters donít really need a personality, yet though character was by no means the focus of the game, I thought the author did a good job fleshing out the thiefís character. I really got a sense of the main characterís personality through the narration and the phrasing of the choices.

Grammar:
No problems here.
Mastery of Language:
I quite liked the use of language here. Though there was nothing special about it, the narration in this game brought just the right humorous and lighthearted mood to it.

Mechanics & Coding:
The coding allows for an open-map exploration game, and all the items are coded excellently. The bag of holding mechanic allows the player to easily review their progress.

Branching:
This isnít a traditional story, and doesnít have branching.

Player Options/fair choice:
All of the puzzles had fair, and retrospectively logical solutions. The player always had options for things to do and places to search, and there were no obvious solutions that you werenít allowed to try. I really felt like I could do anything I wanted in this game, which I donít usually get from storygames.

Nitpicks: Were we supposed to be able to find a way to free the prince? I never found a way to do that.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:
I found all 17 treasures. I thought the mechanic for getting to the roof was particularly clever. I kept falling off the tower and dying because I thought my strength potion would let me climb better. I particularly liked the way the log was used to solve both the first and last puzzle of the game.

CONCLUSION: A fun and approachable puzzle game with a lot of character.

If you enjoyed The Tower of Rowena...

People who like The Tower of Rowena also gave high ratings to these games:

The Ballad of the Orchard, by Orange
The goddess of an orchard has been alone with only trees for company for the last thousand years. Then one day, a little boy comes to her orchard. There is one true ending, you'll know when you find it because it says "true ending."

Zozzled, by Steph Cherrywell
Hotsy-totsy! It's 1928 and you're madcap flapper Hazel Greene, tottering around the city's finest hotel with a gullet full of giggle juice...until a gaggle of ghosts shows up to spoil the fun by turning every drop in the place into...

Pick Up the Phone Booth and Aisle, by David Dyte, Steve Bernard, Dan Shiovitz, Iain Merrick, Liza Daly, John Cater, Ola Sverre Bauge, J. Robinson Wheeler, Jon Blask, Dan Schmidt, Stephen Granade, Rob Noyes, and Emily Short

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Zape on 1 March 2021 at 4:34am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item