the_one.zip *
solution

The One That Got Away

by Leon Lin

1995

Go fishing for 'The Old One'. Won 3rd place.
[blurb from The (Other) TADS Games List version 1.2]

Current Version: Release 1.2
Development System: TADS 2
IFID: TADS2-B0B4A9EBE91F0A057D2B0FD666358C1E
TUID: d7f5xs90i6ys2ite

Off-Site Reviews

SPAG
[...] the game flows nicely and the author seems to have thought of almost everything, providing appropriate - and often very funny - responses to most of the weird things an adventurer might try doing. The puzzle involving the actual fishing is perhaps a bit awkward, but implementing fishing at the level of detail it's done in this game is not a simple feat.
-- Magnus Olsson

My favourite entry in the competition. The puzzles aren't up to much, but who cares? The writing is superb, atmospheric, and very funny. I usually find myself impatient with long sequences of text in adventure games, but even though "The One that Got Away" was brimful with text, I enjoyed it immensely. I must have spent ten times as long thinking of things to say to Bob as I did trying to catch any fish. I suppose I have a soft spot for this kind of mock American pioneer folklore.
-- Gareth Rees