younggayandstupid.blogspot.com

by Midorix

Interesting, October 27, 2014

Although this story is not interactive in any way, the attractive way it is presented including the blog format still makes it a nice game. The protagonist is somebody I liked, especially after his negative, but also clever comments on the effeminate guys in his former high school.

His voice sounds as authentic as his experiences, but I couldn't really figure the sudden ending out, including why he would seriously go to this sleazy party again - although I guess him having sex and getting drunk for the first time is about finally experiencing something exciting and lively. The way he was portrayed as a young man completely shut down, maybe even smothered by his parents, was intriguing.

The graphical presentation in Twine was also well done, by the way. Again I do know why I use Twine myself ;o).

Finally, I wondered whether the label "gay" was really necessary - the reflections and experiences of the young man are universally (shy) male, I think, also his funny observations about his teachers and so on, and the text isn't about any "queer" or "queer theory" stuff etc at all, it's very normal and regular - quite refreshing. This show imho how superficial this constructed "identity" is often used by hetero- *and* homosexual people. On the other hand, without the mentioning of the protagonists sexuality, I wouldn't have tried the game out. Oh well...

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

BlitzWithGuns, October 28, 2014 - Reply
Yup, the label gay isnt necessary for this game lol
Alexandre, November 12, 2014 - Reply
No, but your comment is gay lol
BlitzWithGuns, November 15, 2014 - Reply