Spider and Web

Science Fiction/Espionage
1998

Previous | << 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> | Next | Show All

Cool idea but a little too narrow, September 5, 2011
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)
Related reviews: Espionage, gadgets, spy

I have to honest. I did not make it through this game. I was full of excitement when I started to play, but as soon as I typed 'i' and was carrying nothing of importance -- and later discovered this wasn't entirely true -- I became a little annoyed. I understand the reasoning behind this (because the player knows nothing at the start) but I found the handicap of this sort of play to be more bothersome than cool. The last straw for me was... (Spoiler - click to show)hiding from the guards. I knew I had to distract them with a noise and spent more than an hour trying to put together different pieces of spy equipment (voice transmitter, etc.) to throw them off. When I finally looked up the answer and saw all I had to do was throw a metal object, I decided to stop playing. In other words, there seemed to be endless combinations of how I could distract the guards, yet none of them worked -- which disappointed me.

I would recommend this game to anyone who loves tinkering with gadgets and doesn't mind a somewhat forced-control sort of environment. This just wasn't the right game for me.

- Digibomber, July 29, 2011

- Jonathan Blask (Milwaukee, WI, USA), April 4, 2011

- Felix Pleșoianu (Bucharest, Romania), March 18, 2011

- frocutio (Irvine, CA), February 22, 2011

Intricate, February 2, 2011

This game channels the player towards a pivotal, brilliant, "gestalt" puzzle which requires the player to piece together a couple of different patterns that the narrative created through its repetition of the backstory. The fact that the puzzle works so well is impressive all by itself, but "Spider and Web" also features clipped, stylish prose that creates a tense, claustrophobic atmosphere and describes a sinister, memorable NPC.

- snickerdoddle, January 28, 2011

- Ben Cressey (Seattle, WA), January 25, 2011

- Bernie (Fredericksburg, VA), December 23, 2010

- Stickz (Atlanta, Georgia), December 22, 2010

- Sylvia Storm, December 7, 2010

Amazing game, what most IF can only hope to achieve, December 6, 2010

This game is so good it hurts.

Really really good use of the medium. I have attempted to tell so many people about this game that my friends are bored. This is the memory of playing that I pull out when I am trying to explain to a non-IF player what the genre is all about and how exciting and mind-bending it can be.

Not really a spoiler, but marked for the especially sensitive:
(Spoiler - click to show)There is a part in the game in which I realized that what I was doing as the PC (in a flashback) was not what I had really done.

It created this weird moment when I realized that the author and I had entered into a strange conspiracy to tell the computer lies. In other words, the game state was not merely contained within some data structure in software, but existed in the mind of the player and the author. Weird.

What else is there to tell?, November 27, 2010
by The Year Is Yesterday (California)

Spider and Web is all about trial and error. Yet it somehow manages to make those trials and errors fun, intriguing, and occasionally illuminating. A too heavy-handed description of the story, or even the gameplay, would ruin the several "a-ha!" moments that Plotkin has set up for you. Play for a few minutes and you'll see the first. The second is nested much deeper.... While the game provides enough hints to keep things moving along, I was occasionally overwhelmed by the multitude of items in my possession, and the occasionally maze-like layout of the setting. However, there's a cognitively dissonant moment near the end - you'll know it when you see it - that could only be pulled off in IF, and only by somebody like Plotkin. It's when - no, I'll never tell.

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), November 8, 2010

- strask, October 1, 2010

- Brian Lavelle (Edinburgh, Scotland), September 12, 2010

- Joel Webster (Madison, WI), July 26, 2010

- karcher, July 11, 2010

Previous | << 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> | Next | Show All | Return to game's main page